Writing is a scary business, there is no doubt about it. Every writer struggles with overwhelming fears. The fear of being rejected by publishers, our peers, strangers, family and friends can be enough to put us off writing altogether!
What is less often discussed is how scary it can be to take risks with our writing. The temptation to play it safe, to stick to tried and tested formulas, often feels like the most attractive route.
If you don’t take risks with your writing you might be writing about topics that hold n0o interest to you. You may struggle internally, knowing that you are not really being true to your passions, or yourself.
Whether you’re writing a literary novel, a psychological, medical, legal or spy thriller, or even a cozy mystery, for a novel to be engaging, it must center on human conflict and disturbance.
Why authors should write daring topics:
- Without chaos, there’s very little story to tell.
- “Writing what you know” isn’t always the best advice – write what inspires
- Don’t get lost in the weeds of expertise.
- The Iliad and The Odyssey reveals incest, murder, kidnapping, wars, and nearly every other conceivable horror that can beset human beings.
Taking risks with your writing may expose you to criticism but on the flip-side you could be heralded for writing something truly fresh and unique. Write what inspires you, by constantly pushing yourself to try new things: techniques, styles, genres. This can open you up to a world of creativity, satisfaction, and, quite possibly, success.
I’ve seen a lot of bitter cruelty firsthand and fiction allows me to reach for a deeper, less literal kind of truth, by creating a life event well-dressed in fiction.
What authors face when they write from their heart:
- It can be a challenge. Writing in the same way gets boring. It get’s boring for you, and for your readers. I dare you to try a different technique and become more accomplished at your craft. Make life tough, inspiring and interesting because it will be so much more rewarding if you do.
- It might keep you alert. If you are constantly trying different ways of writing and testing new techniques you will slide into new trends, or interesting styles that are becoming popular. If you master them, you can tap into that market and gain recognition for it.
- Better understand your writing style. Writing in different ways can help you develop your own voice and style, to create a wonderfully unique voice that is just yours. This will make you stand out from the crowd.
Take risks with your writing and escape the crowd of writers that blend in. You don’t have to invent a new genre or completely unusual way of writing. By finding ways to be original with your story, your characters and the language you use, you can find a gap, a place where you can emerge as a writer, and if you can do this, you never know where it might take you.
Unleash the novel inside you
with compelling characters,
and fine-tuned prose.
NEED A HAND click this link
HAVE QUESTIONS: CONTACT link here
“Linda has published sixteen books. She blogs about the publishing world, posts useful tips on the challenges a writer faces, including marketing and promoting your work, how to build your online platform, how to get reviews and how to self-publish. She has mentored many authors and edited their work.”
#selfpublish #author #success #wordsmith #motivation #marketing #authorlife #creativity #motivation #career #daringwriters